Family Physical Therapy & Wellness offers a variety of programs for modalities. Our services include:
- Ultrasound: Form of sound that cannot be heard by the human ear due to its high frequency. It is a physical agent used in rehabilitation to produce both thermal (heat) and nonthermal effects. The purpose is to increase circulation, increase metabolic rate, increase tissue extensibility and decrease pain.
- Electrical Stimulation: The effects and clinical applications of electrical stimulation vary according to the waveform, intensity, duration, and direction of the current flow and according to the type of tissue to which the current is applied. Electrical stimulation can be used to cause a sensory or motor responses that may be used to control pain or increase muscle strength and control. It can also be used to decrease edema, promote tissue healing, and facilitate transdermal drug penetration, such as Iontophoresis.
- Traction: Used to alleviate pressure on structures, such as nerves or joints, that produce pain or other sensory changes or that become inflamed when compressed. The application of traction can normalize sensation and prevent or reduce damage or inflammation of compressed structures. It can be applied manually or with a machine.
- Iontophoresis: Type of electrical stimulation that dispenses anti-inflammatory medicine into the deeper tissue structures. It may be an alternative to oral or parenteral (injection) methods of drug delivery. A physical therapist can administer this form of therapy with a referral for such treatment
- Moist Heat/Cold Therapy: Used to increase tissue temperature of the superficial tissue structures or decrease swelling of tissue structures.